The Telegraph UK (via TheDailyWhat) has the results from an on-line poll of the Top 10 Movie Misquotes. This is a perennial favorite for the pedantic film buff. These are all the iconic movie quotes that it turns out never actually happened.
- “Luke, I am your father” – Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- “Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?” – Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
- “Do you feel lucky, punk?” – Dirty Harry (1971)
- “Play it again, Sam” – Casablanca (1942)
- “Hello, Clarice” – Silence of the Lambs (1991)
- “Beam me up, Scotty!” – Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
- “Frankly, Scarlett, I don’t give a damn” – Gone with the Wind (1939)
- “If you build it, they will come” – Field of Dreams (1989)
- “I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore, Toto” – The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- “Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?” – The Graduate (1967)
All of these, of course, are “in the ether,” as annoying people who say stuff like “in the ether” would say. They’re ingrained in the public consciousness even though they never actually occurred in any of the movies (the Telegraph has corrections/explanations for most of these, with the actual dialog, although in some cases it’s not even a transposed word or a slight adjustment, shit just never happened).
Now it is our turn!
This party game is very simple. You just purposefully mishear famous movie quotes, or make them up yourself, and then try to get them into the national dialogue (so simple). I’ll go first:
- “I’ll be right back” – Terminator
- “Careful, there’s Gremlins in there.” – Gremlins
- “He’s just a rebel without a cause.” – Rebel Without a Cause
- “You are very talented, Mr. Ripley” – The Talented Mr. Ripley
- “I will catch up with you later” – Last of the Mohicans
- “He’s the Lord of the Rings!” – Lord of the Rings
- “What a pretty woman.” – Pretty Woman
- “I sip your milkshake. I sip it up!” – There Will Be Blood
- “I wish I could dump you.” – Brokeback Mountain
- “You can count on me.” – You Can Count on Me
Now everyone thinks these are real! I win!